When I was a young’un in the ’70s, whenever my 6th health teacher didn’t want to teach, he’d show a film. (The one on the dangers of alcohol that starred SONNY BONO was groovy, man.) The one that scarred me for life was a safety film about electricity. I was fine with the ‘don’t fly kites near electrical wires’ and the ‘don’t climb electrical pylons’ portion of the film…and then a little girl with her dolly decided to play with the electrical box in her front yard. (I don’t know the technical term for the things, but they’re kind of rectangular, stand several feet high, and are painted a dull green.)
The lock was broken on the electrical box on that fateful day little Sally decided to explore, and she opened it right up. Inside were two white electrical thingies that Sally thought would make a perfect house for her dolly. So Sally reaches in…ZAP!...cut to a scene of a blackened, burnt up doll. I could only assume little Sally looked the same way.
To this day, if I see any neighborhood children anywhere near those boxes, even those that are safely locked, I want to scream at them to RUN AWAY! DON’T GO NEAR THE BOX! So I guess the film worked…
My name’s Tracy V., and I help out at Joe Bob Briggs’ website. (Joe Bob being the most famous expert on drive-in cinema ever to come out of Grapevine, Texas.)
Thanks for letting me get that traumafession off my chest,
AUNT JOHN SEZ: Thank you Tracy V. for bringing an oft unspoken issue to our attention. The importance of electrical safety cannot be stressed enough! While I was unsuccessful in locating the film that traumatized you, I did unearth this chestnut from across the pond which plays out like The Gashlycrumb Tinies set in a electric sub-station. Poor J-I-M-M-M-Y!