It’s a Horror to Know You: Will of Too Much Horror Fiction!
1. What is the first book that ever scared you?
Some forgotten book on various supernatural creatures, and it convinced me that somewhere in Transylvania there really was a vampire named Count Dracula who lived in a crumbling castle… I didn’t understand the difference between “nonfiction” and fiction yet. My parents had to talk me out of it. Alas. When I was 13, the actual Stoker novel gave me the shudders, when Harker sees Dracula climbing out of one of his castle windows, face down, with his cape spread out around him.
2. What is the last book that scared you?
There were a few scenes – one a Lovecraft reference, I’m sure – in HEADHUNTER (1984), Michael Slade’s police procedural/serial killer horror novel, that got the hairs on the back of my neck up, as if someone were standing just behind me…
3. Name three Horror novels that you believe are underrated.
My god, only *three*?! That’s true horror! I’ll try. These are three masterpieces:
1. ALL HEADS TURN AS THE HUNT GOES BY by John Farris. Farris is a real writer, which you don’t find enough in the genre.
2. FINISHING TOUCHES by Thomas Tessier. A literate and erotic nightmare.
3. FALLING ANGEL by William Hjortsberg. A hardboiled detective/horror novel.
Okay, one more:
4. THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR by Anne Rivers Siddons. A unique haunted house novel written by a genteel Southern lady.
4. Name three Horror novels that you enjoy against your better judgment.
I don’t know if these go against my “better judgment” but they do push some real taste boundaries.
1. INCUBUS by Ray Russell. Sleazy trashy fun – sexy or sexist? You decide!
2. THE MANITOU by Graham Masterton. Ludicrous but oh so much fun.
3. PIN by Andrew Neiderman. Rather Cronenbergian, with a sort of VC Andrews thing going on.
5. Send us to five places on the Internet!
1. L’ARRIVEE D’ SYLVIA KRISTEL – All Sylvia Kristel, all the time. Delightful.
2. ACTION FIGURE OF THE DAY – What can I say, I grew up in the ’70s and early ’80s, I love my STAR WARS toys.
3. LOVECRAFT’S WORLDS – Just discovered this guy, he’s an HPL obsessive.
4. EXISTENTIAL ENNUI – Great blog name, features lots of vintage crime fiction and UK book covers.
5. CELLULOID HIGHWAY – One of the best-written movie blogs around.