UNK SEZ: Aunt John and I have gone fishing but don’t worry, as I was able to coax everybody’s Kinderpal Mickster into recommending one of her faves for you. Thanks Mickster!
MICKSTER SEZ: Netflix isn’t the only place that offers obscure horror movies instantly. Hulu.com is another good source for instant streaming. The best part is that Hulu.com is free. The only caveat is that you have to watch commercials every ten to fifteen minutes; however, it is worth it when you come across a movie that has not been released on DVD. This brings me to my recommendation for the week, JACK’S BACK (1988). I first discovered this little known gem on USA’s UP ALL NIGHT during the early ’90s.
It is one hundred years after the original Jack the Ripper murders in London, and a serial killer in Los Angeles is meticulously recreating the killings. If you like Jack the Ripper-themed movies, you should enjoy this one. It does not hurt that JAMES SPADER is so damn hot in this. He plays twins John and Rick Wesford. John being the straight-laced med student and Rick being the “bad-boy” shoe store manager. The supporting cast includes ROBERT PICARO (THE HOWLING) , ROD LOOMIS (aka Sigmund Freud from BILL & TED’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE) and CYNTHIA GIBB.
Mickster’s Special Moments:
- “Red Harvest” playing, as the Polaroid develops to reveal a dead prostitute.
- The Ripper enjoys singing “My Way” in the shower to prepare for killing hookers.
- John’s unfortunate demise after being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Rick wakes from a nightmare (about John’s death) and rolls around on the bed in his underwear… Yay!
- Rick teams up with the John’s cute and spunky co-worker Chris to catch Jack the Ripper.
- The porn theater sells guns but not bullets
- Rick knocks “Red-Herring Jack” on his ass.
- The final showdown with Jack the Ripper.