Aunt, Unk, Kidnertraumatized….
I have a trauma that I've hung onto for years and years that no one can properly diagnose.
The closest person to the trauma, the person I shared this trauma with (my older sister), has suppressed the memory so deep that she has no idea what I'm talking about when I try to describe what I remember to her.
Instead of a long, rambling description of the film that did this to me – I will simply list what I remember in concise bullet points.
– This was either a British film OR happened to be set in Britain with a British cast.
– From the look of the film, it was made some time in the early 1980's to 1990.
– It was a ghost story. Bleak. Humorless.
– Parts of the film took place on a lake. The lake was involved in a drowning or cover-up.
– In the final scene of the movie, a main character in a small canoe is killed by a tree falling on them. This character would have otherwise gotten away with something or gone unpunished. The audience is led to believe that this was an act of revenge by the film's ghost.
Sadly -that's it, friends.
I remember watching this film with my older sister. Possibly on VHS taped from TV. Whenever I ask her "What was that British movie where a ghost made a tree fall on a person in a boat?" she acts like I made it up.
BUT I KNOW IT WAS REAL!
WHY WOULD I STILL BE THINKING ABOUT IT 25 YEARS LATER?